Greetings to you in the precious name of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. By the special grace of the almighty God, the theme for this month shall be THE POWER OF PRAYER.
First and foremost, it is important to understand that prayer is a spiritual activity backed by an act of faith. As Christians, it is important to communicate with God daily and there’s no better way to do so than through prayer — it is our direct line to God (Jeremiah 29:12).
A consistent prayer life allows us to strengthen our relationship with God and to truly appreciate the power that our words can produce when we pray “in the right manner”. More importantly, when there’s a manifestation of answers to our prayers, our faith in God is further strengthened and so is our resolve to continue to depend on Him for continued sustenance.
HOW DO WE PRAY?
No doubt it is possible for our prayers to be unanswered by God and hence believers sometimes get frustrated when this happens. So, this then raises the question “is there a right way to pray?”. The answer is “Yes”. The bible sheds some light in Matthew 6: 9-13 where Jesus Christ teaches us how to pray thus:
- Hallow (or exalt) the name of the Lord. Never barge into God’s presence (Psalms 100:4).
- Even though it’s your request, ask that God’s will be done nonetheless (Luke 22:42b).
- Don’t be greedy with your request. Ask for today’s supplies and let tomorrow take care of itself (Matthew 6:34).
- Always ask for forgiveness of your sins (Proverbs 15:8, 1 Peter 3:12).
- Ask for guidance and pray against the treacheries of the wicked (Psalm 25:3, Proverbs 22:12).
WHAT CAN HAPPEN WHEN WE PRAY?
Absolutely anything can happen when we pray especially when we’re in the right standing with God (James 5:16). Below are a few examples of the effects that prayers can produce:
- God can forgive your sins (2 Chronicles 7:14, Psalms 51:1-7).
- God can fight your battles on your behalf (Psalms 35, Jeremiah 1:19).
- God can stir up a revival in your life (Acts 2:1-47, Isaiah 38:1-5).
As this eventful year comes to an end, I’d like to encourage you to spend time praying to God about yourself, friends, family, nations of the earth etc. You’re also welcome to join our Sunday services this month as we explore more teachings on THE POWER OF PRAYER.
Happy new month!
Yours in HIS service,