WHAT KIND OF LOVE?
“…that a man lay down his life for his friend” (John 15:13). Now, that’s “true love” and exactly the kind God wants us to emulate. Jesus Christ demonstrated this kind of love when he laid down his life on the Cross for the sins of mankind.
Interestingly, love is one such powerful key of the kingdom of heaven. So much so that a lack of it is akin to death. No wonder Jesus described it as the first and greatest commandment (Matt. 22:37-38).
Unfortunately, we now live in a world where “true love” is hard to come by for a number of reasons:
- Our motive for showing love has been corrupted.
- We’re so in love with ourselves and find it hard to love others.
- A lack of understanding of love as an act of sacrifice.
GOD IS LOVE
“He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love” (I John 4:8). We’re being reminded that, the basis for true love is God Himself. That is, it is impossible to love without first knowing God.
Let’s explore a few examples that further demonstrate God’s love for us:
- He gave His only son for mankind (John 3:16).
- He loves us regardless of our sins. (Romans 5:8).
- His love for us never ceases. In fact, it is renewed every day (Lamentations 3: 22-23).
The power of God’s kind of love can be so infectious. As such, every Christian is encouraged to emulate His kind of love at all times.
DIMENSIONS OF LOVE
While we’re all encouraged to walk in true love, it is equally important to understand the dimensions of love that God expects us to demonstrate.
The dimensions of God’s love listed below (in the correct order) are important to help us excel in the power of love:
- Love for God (I john 5:3).
- Love for yourself (Proverbs 6:27).
- Love for your neighbour (Matthew 22:39).
Always remember that the basis for “true love” is God. As such, you’re hereby encouraged to start demonstrating God’s kind of love from today and it shall be well with you in Jesus’ name.
HAPPY NEW MONTH!